The Waterford Township Public Library offers free Public Internet Access for persons with wireless-enabled portable computers, electronic devices and smart phones. This service allows you to quickly and easily connect to the Internet anywhere within the Library.
This service provides a way to access the same Internet resources available from our Public Internet, Database and Online Catalog computers from the convenience of your own computer or PDA. This service also allows you to connect to Internet resources that may not be accessible through the Library’s computers. You can also download and upload data and files directly to and from your computer or PDA. We also provide wired connections to our Public Internet Access from various locations throughout the Library.
This service uses the Library’s network resources to connect to the Internet. Anyone using the wireless service and the wired connections to our Public Internet Access must abide by the Internet Access Policy. Users who violate the terms of that policy, other library policies or use the network for abusive, malicious or illegal activity will be banned from the network and may be subject to prosecution.
(The library also has Mobile WiFi Hot Spots that can be checked out and used outside of the library where T-Mobile cellular service is available. More information can be found here.)
- Portable computer or mobile device with a compatible wireless Ethernet network card
- Software to support the wireless network card
- Web browser software
Complete the following steps to get connected. Staff assistance is not available for this process:
- Configure your computer or mobile device’s TCP / IP network settings to use DHCP. With DHCP enabled, your computer is automatically assigned an IP address when you connect to our network. Additional setup instructions are available at the library for configuring various operating systems.
- Ensure that your wireless network card is enabled and supports a connection using the appropriate wireless protocol. You may also need to configure your SSID to library; disable WEP / WPA encryption; and set connection to Infrastructure or Access Point mode.
- Open your web browser. You must first connect to our network using your web browser before you will be able to access the Internet using any protocol.
- Read and Accept the Internet Access Policy. Accepting the policy will register your computer on our network and enable your access to the Internet.