Place a Hold Request
When searching the library catalog, you are searching a catalog listing materials from 50 libraries in southeast Michigan. If you place a hold on an item that is available at our library, library staff will pull it from our shelves, process it, and place it under your last name, in the holds pick-up area of our Circulation Lobby. Library staff pull and process holds usually twice each day; in the morning before the library opens and again mid-afternoon.
If you are looking for an item that our library does not currently own or that is checked out, you can request that another library’s item fill the hold and be sent for you to pick-up at our library, simply by doing the same thing, placing a hold. If it is available at another library and can be inter-loaned, you should receive it in 4-7 days. If there is not a copy readily available, you will be put on a waiting list.
How to Place a Hold Online
- Navigate to and search for the item you want to check out from the library catalog.
- You may either click on the “Place Hold” button, located underneath the title, or click on the title to bring up the item detail and do "place hold" from there. If you click on "all copies" on the left side of the page, it displays a listing of the libraries in our shared system which own that item and will tell you if it the item is available, checked out, damaged, being routed between libraries, or on hold for another patron. This area will also provide you with more information about the title.
- Click on the “Place Hold" button, located underneath the title.
- Type in your library card number with no spaces or dashes between the numbers.
- Type in your Personal Identification Number (PIN). Check with library staff if you are unsure as to what your PIN is. Click on "log in."
- Choose the library at which you would like to pick-up the item.
- Click on the "Submit Hold" button.
Depending on your preference, you will receive a notice via Email or telephone or text that your hold is available for pick-up. To change your preferences from Email or phone, inform library staff at the Circulation Desk how you would like to be notified and they will update your account information. You may also set up your account to receive text message notifications by following the directions here.