The Waterford Township Fire Department was established in 1941 as a direct result of the growing population in what was known at the time as Lakeland's Paradise. The departments humble beginnings originated in a small lower-level room of town hall with 1 fire truck and a handful of concerned township citizens.
Today, it has become one of the most progressive, best equipped, best trained and technologically advanced fire departments in the State of Michigan. With this progressive approach, the Waterford Fire Department took on the fire protection needs of the City of Lake Angelus in 2000. In February 2012, the Fire Department began contracted Fire and EMS services to the City of Pontiac.
Response area demographics include 60 square miles of suburban residential, lakefront, heavy and light industrial, retail property and a downtown district. Infrastructure includes the Oakland County International Airport charting nearly 120,000 take-offs and landings annually, the Detroit branch line of the CN Railroad and switching yards, the Oakland County Jail and Courthouse, Waterford, Pontiac and Oakland Schools Headquarters, several GM testing, manufacturing and warehouse facilities in both Waterford and Pontiac.
Additionally, 2 State parks with public beaches, 7 public boat launches and 11 miles of mountain bike trails, a 145-acre county park with a wave pool, children's water park, giant water slide, BMX track, sledding hills and heated lighted tennis courts. Several hotels are spread throughout our response areas. Telegraph, Woodward, Dixie Highway, Baldwin Road, and M-59 are all busy thoroughfares through the communities that we serve.